Monday, May 3, 2010

A new month

Amazingly enough May is already here and it is more then stifling where I am right now. (More reason to stay inside and research, I say!) Unfortunately, May is another month that is slow in historic happenings, and I do apologize, but as soon as June hits we'll have all kinds of interesting things to talk about. This is mainly because, back in the day warfare stopped during the winter before picking up again in the spring, so that is why most of the battles fought in Scotland, are fought during the summer months. Besides that, I have also started a new blog for young or beginning writers called The First Scribbles so I will also be writing for that this month. 

Right now, though I would like to introduce you to one of my favorite Scottish blogs, Scotland For the Senses. This is a beautiful, wonderful blog and would be enjoyed by anyone who loves Scotland. It's like a travel guide, but more creative. The author has started a wee book club for anyone who wants to join and we will be reading Magnus Magnusson's book Scotland: The Story of a Nation. This has always been one of my favorite books (the first one I really started learning Scottish history with) and I am excited to be able to finally read it cover to cover. For anyone else who wants to read it along with us, please do! Magnusson is a wonderful writer. He writes like he's telling a story, not just putting the facts on paper and when I read him, I feel he's talking to me and not just this stranger on the other end writing the words. He's also accurate which is very good because I have found many books that are NOT. But I have not seen any glaring mistakes in Magnusson's book.

Also, if anyone has anything specific they would like me to talk about this month, I am open for suggestions, so questions, comments and concerns are all very welcome. 

Slainte, Hazel

No comments:

Post a Comment