Saturday, August 14, 2010

To a True Scott

Today is the birthday of one of Scotland's greatest writers: Sir Walter Scott! While Robert Burns is considered the national poet of Scotland, Sir Walter Scott was also a fantastic poet and he was really the one of the first to create the historical novel (My hero!) And his novels are wonderful! Some of my favorite books and poems are written by Sir Walter Scott. If you have not already read Ivanhoe or Rob Roy go pick up a copy! They are jewels of 19th century literature. Scott was a great lover of history, and his house, Abbotsford still holds his collections for everyone to see. He really loved Scotland, and it shows in his beautiful poetry.

To celebrate his birthday, here are some of my favorite songs taken from his poems for you to listen to:



I am once against setting off on a trip, this time up the coast to Tennessee, but I will continue with my posts. More of Wallace, and another for the Summer Battle Season this week that will be fun.

Say a nice 'happy birthday' to Sir Walter Scott and celebrate by reading some of his poetry.

Slainte, Hazel

No comments:

Post a Comment