Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Royal Race

This month is the first month that I will be giving a clan the center stage. For February, we have the MacGregors!

Last year, I talked a lot about Rob Roy in February in honor of his birthday, but this year, I decided to honor his whole clan. So we are going to be talking a little bit about the history of Clan MacGregor and some of the famous men and woman (besides Rob) and at the end, I will give you a list of research books and novels that you can enjoy for further research.

Today, I am going to introduce their clan. The motto of Clan MacGregor is: S Rioghal Mo Dhream which means "Royal is my Race". From Gaelic though, it actually translates as "My Blood is Royal, but that's pretty much the same thing. You may be wondering about that because the Stuarts are the traditional royal family of Scotland, but the MacGregors can tie their lines way back to Kenneth MacAlpin. (For those of you reading Magnusson, that was chapter three) Their plant badge is the Scots Pine which they would stick in their bonnets to tell what clan they were from before clan tartans came into being. Here's a link to a site that will show you pictures of the arms and plant badge of the MacGregors.

That's all I'm going to talk about today, but I will be back later to talk a little bit about the history of the MacGregor clan!

Slainte, Hazel

No comments:

Post a Comment