Sunday, July 4, 2010

Declarations of Independance

As it is Independence Day in America, I thought that I might put a small post on today about the similarities of the Declaration of Independence and the Declaration of Arbroath. It really is uncanny how much alike they are. I suggest to you, that, if you have the time, to read them side by side to further appreciate the similarities. I've posted links to each of the texts so you can do that if so desired! I have posted things before on how much I thought the Wars for Independence in Scotland and the American Revolution coincide to the very point of the brave men who led each of the armies. I just think it's amazing that two documents, five hundred years apart, are really so much alike. 

This is a short post for the day, but if you want to know more about this subject, I would like to recommend a book to you. I am actually currently reading it, so I have not finished it, but I really like it and think it is a fantastic work. It's called Warriors and Wordsmiths of Freedom: The Birth and Growth of Democracy by Linda MacDonald-Lewis. (You can find it on Amazon, or get it from Luath Press.) It's not very long, but it's a very good read, so I suggest it highly.

I'll be back tomorrow with another post so until then, enjoy this wee history lesson!

Slainte, Hazel

No comments:

Post a Comment