Monday, July 5, 2010

The First Birthday of the Month!

The first birthday celebration this month is for John Paul Jones! He was a Scottish seaman who moved to America during the time of the American Revolution and practically created the American Navy. He is known, even to this day as the Father of the American Navy, and is viewed and almost an insignia for the Navy today. His actual birthday is on the sixth, tomorrow, but I am going to be on the road tomorrow and will probably not get a chance to write this post, so I decided to write it today. So everyone wish Jones a very happy birthday!

Some quotes by John Paul Jones:

"I have not yet begun to fight!" (spoken to the English Captain when asked to surrender at the famous battle between the English Serapis and Jones' Bonhomme Richard)

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."

If you want to read a book about John Paul Jones, I would recommend Evan Thomas's biography, John Paul Jones: Sailor, Hero, Father of the American Navy. I read this book last summer and I thought it was fantastic. It gives you a good idea about who the real man was and a bit of the legend as well.

I will probably not get another chance to write this week, but I will surely be back next week once more, so keep checking back!

Slainte, Hazel

No comments:

Post a Comment