Sunday, September 11, 2011

Stirling: Proud Eddie's Army Gets Sent Home

So, aye, everyone, it's once again the anniversary of the Battle of Stirling Bridge. Exciting stuff there to be sure. I did a post on the actual story of it last year, so if you want to go read that, please do!

I still can't believe this is my second year of writing posts for you everyone, and I'm still not giving up, even though I've been a little slow lately. I've started an author's blog now and I've been trying to write for that. If you haven't already seen that, go and take a look, it's good fun ;)

But anyway, the Battle of Stirling. This was the first real battlefield victory in the Scottish Wars for Independence and truthfully the last until Bannockburn almost seventeen years later. Both proved many points. Wallace's victory at Stirling caused men to flock to his banner, hearts warmed to the fact that they could actually win against the English. Unfortunately, the disaster at Falkirk the year after, struck them back down to guerrilla warfare which, again, was not a total loss. Bannockburn, of course, won Scotland's freedom, but if Wallace had never fought on Stirling that day at the River Fourth, the Scots probably would not have had a hero to look up to in years to come. It is still, to this day, one of the Scots' greatest victories, made even more so in 1997 during the Yes-Yes vote that won Scotland a parliament of their own. Odd how history connects itself. This is why you remember your heroes, all my dear people.

So that's all I really have to say for now. Please, my friends, I'm still taking in Thoughts for Wallace so do not think you are too late. At any given moment, I would love to hear what you have to say about him.

Slainte, Hazel

No comments:

Post a Comment