Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Stuff for Wallace Day


Well, Wallace day is next Tuesday, which for people who don't want to do the math is one week away. And I have still only gotten ONE thought from you readers regarding William Wallace (see post below) My goal is ten, so please don't be shy and tell me what you think!

But besides giving me thoughts, maybe you should treat yourself this Wallace Day with a bit of his legacy. You could buy my new book Freedom Come All Ye for example! (shameless plugging on my part, but hey, we all have to make a living.) If you have read all the other Wallace books like I have, then you should definitely add this one to your collection.

You could also get yourself a Team Wallace t-shirt from my Cafepress store. I just got mine yesterday, and am excited to wear it for Wallace Day. I regret the fact that I was too busy to add any more Wallace shirts, but Wallace never goes out of season, so I will definitely add some later on.

Also, I would like to give you a few book suggestions that are not written by me ;-)

Nigel Tranter's The Wallace for one. If you have not read this yet, go get a copy now, because it is the best Wallace novel ever written. Very accurate, and a good protrayal of the characters.

Another good one, though less known is Jane Porter's The Scottish Chiefs. I read this one a couple years ago and thought it was good. Several flaws: Wallace was blond. (I've nothing against blonds, just when they are William Wallace) Why? I don't know. But the book was written in the early 1800s, and that was the time when Wallace had resurfaced to become the "darling" of the time period. He was thought of more as an epic hero such as Beowulf than a national hero. It was this that bothered Sir Walter Scott. He loved Wallace as any true Scotsman does, but he did not like them practically worshiping him. Wallace would not have wanted that anyway. But the Scottish Chiefs is a very good book, you just have to remember the time period it was written in. Oh, but I did forget to mention that girl who fainted about twenty times...

So anyway, one last suggestion. David R. Ross' For Freedom a lovely combination of Wallace's legacy and David's own together. Talks about the Walk for Wallace in 2005 when David Ross walked from Robroyston to London on the rout Wallace was taken when he was captured and the commemorations the people of Scotland held for their national hero. Beautiful book, and if you don't have this one on your shelf either, you're sadly lacking.

Anyway, remember my dead line for Wallace thoughts is at the end of the month, so give me nine more at least! I write all this history for you and you never thank me! Just kidding (not really) :-)

So I'll be back later, hopefully before Wallace Day, but if not, I will be back then.

Slainte, Hazel




No comments:

Post a Comment